Chris concentrates his practice on representing small business owners in disputes with other businesses and in disputes with their co-owners. Chris works extensively with breach of contract claims, breach of fiduciary duty claims, and other business tort and statutory claims.
Chris is a skilled litigator and an effective, strategic advocate dedicated to achieving the best outcome for his clients.
Before joining the Business Law Group, Chris was a partner at a national defense firm in Kansas City, where he developed a broad practice representing mostly large companies in state and federal courts across the country. He has handled countless breach of contract and business tort cases, and has significant experience with corporate governance disputes, real property litigation, no-compete and trade-secret disputes, construction litigation (for both owners and contractors), and defending lawyers and law firms against legal malpractice and related claims.
Representative Matters and Experience
- Assisted multiple clients in closely held business disputes either to obtain sole ownership and control of the business or to exit the venture on favorable terms
- Defended numerous business owners against “usurping” and other breach of fiduciary duty claims
- Prosecuted individual and derivative claims against co-owners and management for waste and other breaches of fiduciary duties
- Defended individuals and company against accusations of trade secret misappropriation and breach of non-competition agreements
- Represented one of the nation’s largest private land owners for many years in multiple lawsuits challenging its title to and use of real property
- Represented property owner in disputes with easement owner concerning payment for the easement and permitted use
- Represented railroad in corporate governance dispute involving joint venture
- Prosecuted warranty and other contract claims against manufacturers of defective product components enabling client to recover product recall costs caused by the defective components
- Defended national law firm against legal malpractice claims involving the firm’s prior litigation and transactional work
- Defended international law firm against legal malpractice claims involving the firm’s prior corporate restructuring advice
- Missouri (inactive)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Juris Doctor with honors, 2002
- Appalachian State University, B.A. in English, magna cum laude, English Department Honors, 1998